Brigid E. Heid
Business Litigation, Employment Law
|Phone 614.628.0778||Supported by |
Juli McCafferty: email@example.com
I emphasize proactive prevention - helping my clients identify issues before they become expensive problems.
- Practice focus: Employment law; Business, commercial and employment litigation; business conflicts mediation; restrictive covenants; trade secrets; unfair competition; advises clients on how to avoid and resolve costly worker disputes involving hiring/termination, discipline, wage and hour, intellectual property, insurance coverage, discrimination and harassment
- Joined Carlile Patchen & Murphy LLP as a partner in April 2008; chair of the Hiring Committee.
- Successfully tried cases as lead counsel in Ohio state and federal courts, including enforcement of business contracts, enjoining unfair competition, soliciting customers and employees, theft of trade secrets and unlawful discrimination
- Extensive appellate court experience: successfully representing clients in the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit and numerous Ohio District Courts of Appeal; clerked at The Tenth District Court of Appeals, Franklin County, Ohio
- Experienced advocate before administrative agencies: Department of Labor (DOL), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC), Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) and State Teachers Retirement System (STRS).
- Zealously pursues litigation when in the best interest of the client but emphasizes “proactive prevention” and the advantages of alternative dispute resolution including informal negotiations, formal mediation and binding arbitration.
- Launched the Employment Law Hotline to offer clients telephone access to the firm's employment lawyers for quick, basic answers to everyday workplace questions at an affordable flat rate fee.
- Recognized as an Ohio Super Lawyer for 2013, and as an Ohio Super Lawyers Rising Star in Law & Politics Magazine.
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow
- Frequent presenter to business and professional groups on employment-related issues.
- Actively volunteers in the community; serves on the Board of Governors for the Columbus Bar Association; Past President of the Board of Trustees for The Legal Aid Society of Columbus; Past Chair of the Client and Human Relations Committee and Program Committee; Executive Women's Golf Association (Columbus Chapter); Past Treasurer of Kappa Kappa Gamma, Beta Nu House Association
- Graduate of The Ohio State University Moritz College of Law, with honors
- Admitted to State of Ohio (1990), U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit (1998), U.S. District Court, Northern District of Ohio (1998), U.S. District Court, Southern District of Ohio (1991), District of Columbia (1993)
- Member of the American Bar Association (Litigation & Employment Law Committees; Advisory Panel 2012); Columbus Bar Association (Elected to the Board of Governors, 2011; Labor and Employment Committee; Judiciary Committee, alternate member), Columbus Bar Foundation (Fellow), Ohio State Bar Association, TAGLaw (Principal Contact), Women Lawyers of Franklin County (Past President), Columbus Rotary (Past Chair, Health & Fitness)
- Lives in Upper Arlington with her husband, Kurt, and their rescue dog, Tundra.
- Martindale-Hubbell rating of AV® Preeminent™*
- Martindale-Hubbell® Bar Register of Preeminent Women Lawyers™**
*The Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Ratings serve as an objective indicator that a lawyer has the highest ethical standards and professional ability. A rating of AV® Preeminent™ denotes that an attorney has achieved the status of “Very High to Preeminent” legal ability based on recommendations from the attorney’s peers. AV® Preeminent™ and BV® Distinguished™ are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies.
**Less than 5% of women lawyers have been recognized with an AV Preeminent® Rating.