What has been updated?
Some benefits the DOL has specifically excluded from an employee’s regular rate of pay include:
- Payments for unpaid leave (e.g., sick time);
- Reimbursed expenses for cellphone plans;
- Some travel expenses that meet the definition of a “reasonable payment”;
- Certain referral bonuses and acknowledgment bonuses (e.g., employee-of-the-month);
- Costs of providing certain employee benefits such as parking, wellness programs, certain tuition benefits, gym access, and adoption assistance.
What hasn’t changed?
Why It Matters?
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your Carlile Patchen & Murphy business attorney today.
**Source: U.S. Department of Labor
Department of Labor updates Regular Rate of Pay Regulations Affecting Employees’ Overtime Compensation